Solar Panels

If your home is suitable, solar panels can be a great way to reduce your electricity bills, allowing you to generate your own electricity from the sun. We support any customer who chooses to use our smart metering system in conjunction with solar panel technology, offering a product that can effectively report on the extent of your savings.

Government Scheme

By generating your own electricity you will of course save on your energy bills and with the Government’s Feed-in Tariff, you could be paid for every kilowatt hour (kWh) you generate. The amount you will receive depends on the Energy Performance Certificate (EPC) rating your home achieves. In addition to this, any electricity you don't use will earn you extra income by feeding it back into the Grid.

The 'Feed-in Tariff scheme' (FITs) was devised by the government to encourage domestic customers and businesses to generate their own energy. Solar PV (Photovoltaic) systems that meet the scheme’s requirements are entitled to receive payment not only for the electricity they generate* but also any energy not used at your premises, which gets exported back into the grid. Remember, these payments are on top of the savings you make by generating and using your own renewable electricity, rather than using energy supplied to you.

For further information, and to see if your solar PV system qualifies for the Feed-in Tariff, please refer to the eligibility criteria set out by Ofgem.

How do I apply?

Apply online here using our online application form

Please note that due to recent regulations changes, we are required to wait 14 working days from receiving your application before we can process it. During this time, we will check your application for any further information that we may require to ensure that your application can then be processed in a timely manner.

Please ensure you also send us the following:

  • Copy of your MCS certificate
  • Proof of ownership of the System (such as a copy of an invoice for installation, or commissioning certificate) if you have provided information about more than one system, please ensure that you provide proof of ownership for each system
  • Energy Performance Certificate
  • Proof of relationship between owner and person claiming FITs If you are not the owner of the generating system to which this application refers, please provide evidence of the owner (see Section 1) and the relationship between you and the owner stated (such as a copy of contractual agreement)
  • Proof of Identity such as a copy of driving licence, birth certificate etc (you only need to provide this if you are not an Utilita customer)
  • Proof of address such as a copy of two utility bills
  • Ensure declarations are ticked as appropriate

If you would like further information or have any questions regarding the Feed in Tariff Scheme Utilita offer, please email us at:

Get a quote & switch